I had another go with the 35mm film in the Holga 120N today, with slight improvements in my results. I adequately tweaked the camera and blocked the little red window completely, so my exposures were way better, but I didn’t count my clicks when forwarding the film, so I wound up wasting a good chunk of it.
I’ve had a Holga 120N laying around for almost three years now. I originally bought it because I desperately wanted to play around with medium format photography and the Holga was the cheapest 120 camera I was able to find. One of the biggest issues I had with it wound up being the accessibility (or lack thereof) of local places where I could get the 120 film developed. When I bought the camera, there was a place nearby that would send the photos out and have them back to me within a week. After moving, I no longer have access to such a place, and I have always lacked the patience to wait an entire week to see my results.
I’d read about a few hacks that would allow for use of 25mm film in the Holga 120N, so today I decided to give it a shot. I found this tutorial on YouTube:
Altering the camera was easy enough and took less than five minutes. I did make one near-fatal error in my attempt, though: I didn’t cover up the little red window on the back of the Holga sufficiently enough, so when my photos came out, there was a big red block on all of them. I shot the roll in color film, but in post-processing I opted to adjust the saturation of the red in each photo and then convert them to black and white (with the exception of one photo of Minu, which had only a little bit of reddish interference that I was able to mostly edit away). For my second go at it, I made sure to cover up the window completely. Another post with those photos will be up within the next week or so.
These were my results: